DC Watch Home
Council Period 12
Council Period 13
Linda W. Cropp at the request of the Mayor
A PROPOSED RESOLUTION IN THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
To confirm the appointment of Ms. Cheryl R.
Cooper to the Washington Convention Center Board of Directors.
RESOLVED, BY THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF
COLUMBIA, That this resolution may be cited as the Washington Convention Center Authority
Board of Directors Cheryl R. Cooper Confirmation Resolution of 2000.
Sec. 2. The Council of the District of
Columbia confirms the appointment of
Ms. Cheryl R. Cooper, CPA
602 6th Place, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20024
as a public member of the Washington
Convention Center Authority Board of Directors, established by section 205 of the
Washington Convention Center Authority Act of 1994, effective September 28, 1994 (D.C. Law
10-188; D.C. Code § 9-806), completing the unexpired term of Monte P. Shepler, which will
end May 16, 2001.
Sec. 3. The Council of the District of
Columbia shall transmit a copy of this resolution, upon its adoption, each to the nominee
and to the Office of the Mayor.
Sec. 4. This resolution shall take effect
Back to top of
CHERYL R. COOPER, CPA
602 - 6th Place, SW
Washington, DC 20024
(202) 434-2300 (W) (202) 479-4529 (H)
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY, Washington, DC, B.S.
Business Administration, May 1978; Major: Accounting, Minor: Computer Science
American Association of Retired Persons,
1/95-Present CHIEF OF STAFF
- Provides direct counsel and support to the
Executive Director and ensures that the policies of the Director are adhered to.
- Provides guidance and counsel to. senior
management for all management, coordination, administrative processes, and procedures
impacting all functional areas of the Association.
- Acts on behalf of the Executive Director as
- Supervises the Executive Staff Office.
11/90-12/95 DIRECTOR OF INTERNAL AUDIT
- Responsible for directing all Internal Audit
activities including independent reviews of the Association's internal control structure,
programmatic activities, and division operations.
- Participates as part of the senior management
team in the development and implementation of Association-wide policies and procedures.
- Manages, trains, and evaluates department's
2/90-7 0/90 ASSISTANT CONTROLLER
- Responsible for planning and coordinating the
financial accounting and reporting functions of the Association including its
- Duties included preparation and closing of
annual audited financial statements, analysis of financial data, and research of
- Managed day-to-day administration of the Office
of the Controller.
Congressional Black Caucus Foundation. Inc.,
9/86-2/90 DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND
- Responsible for day-to-day administration of
the Foundation's overall activities.
- Converted Foundation's 10-year manual
accounting operations to computer within first year.
- Researched and presented information at board
Enterprise Advisory Services. Inc., Houston,
9/85-9/86 DIRECTOR OF GENERAL BUSINESS
- Provided consulting services to various
companies emphasizing financial analysis, personnel management, and long-range planning.
- Assisted major agencies with all facets of
long-range planning, including implementation of approved plans and post-implementation
The Coastal Corporation, Houston, TX
7/82-8/85 SENIOR FINANCIAL ANALYST. Refining
and Marketing .Division
- Analyzed and forecasted results of refinery
- coordinated preparation of 10-K and Annual
Report data with external auditors.
SENIOR AUDITOR, Internal Audit Division
- Planned and organized audits of various
- Developed and implemented audit programs and
Coopers & Lybrand, Washington, DC
7/78-7/82 AUDIT SUPERVISOR, Audit Department
- Organized and supervised audits providing
financial, SEC, and tax services to public and private clients.
- Trained and evaluated professional staff.
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES:
Advisory Board, National Foundation For
Teaching Entrepreneurship, 1994-Present
Assistant Treasurer, Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, 1996-1997
Board of Governors. DC Chapter IIA, 1993-1995
International Professional Issues Committee. IIA, 1992-1995
Treasurer, Board of Directors, DC Institute for Mental Health, 1990-1992
Leadership America - Class of 1990
Mentor, Howard University of Divinity Program, 1987
Volunteer, Casa de Esperanza, Houston, TX 1984
Chairperson, Supervisory Committee, Coastal Corporation Federal Credit Union, 1982-1985
REFERENCES: Available Upon Request