DC Watch Home
Council Period 12
Council Period 13
|Chairman Linda W. Cropp at the request of the
A PROPOSED RESOLUTION IN THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
To confirm the appointment of Mr. Alexander M. Padro to the District of Columbia Board
of Library Trustees.
RESOLVED, BY THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, this resolution may be cited as
the "District of Columbia Board of Library Trustees Alexander M. Padro Confirmation
Resolution of 2000".
Sec. 2. The Council of the District of Columbia confirms the appointment of:
Mr. Alexander M. Padro
1519 18th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20036
as a member of the District of Columbia Board of Library Trustees, established by
section 4 of An Act To establish and provide for the maintenance of a free public library
and reading room in the District of Columbia, approved June 3, 1896 (29 Stat. 244; D.C.
Code §37-104), replacing Joanne E. Boxley-May, whose term ended January 5, 1999, for a
term to end January 5, 2004.
Sec. 3. The Council of the District of Columbia shall transmit a copy of this
resolution, upon its adoption, each to the nominee and to the Office of the Mayor.
Sec. 4. This resolution shall take effect immediately.
Back to top of page
ALEXANDER M. PADRO
1519 Eighth Street NW, Washington, DC 20001-3205, 202-518-37944, Fax: 202-518-0078, firstname.lastname@example.org
MONUMENT BOOKS, Washington, DC, 1998 - Present
Small press publishing trace local and ethnic history books. First title scheduled for
publication in 1999.
Acquire titles for publication and manage production, marketing and soles functions
PADRO COMMUNICATIONS, Washington, DC, 1997-Present
Publishing consulting firm providing acquisitions, direct marketing, publicity, soles, and
graphic design services to commercial and non profit publishers. Literary agency services
provided to non fiction authors.
Recruit new clients and provide full range of services personally and with freelancers and
GOVERNMENT INSTITUTES, Rockville, MD, 1994-1997
Publisher of environmental and occupational safety and health professional reference books
and related government documents.
- Managed and expanded list of book and electronic titles on management, legal-regulatory,
scientific, and technical topics for EH&S professionals, including attorneys,
engineers, physicians, and nurses.
- Directed corporate new product development efforts and monitored regulatory activity and
industry trends to select new business opportunities.
- Established occupational safety and health publishing program, signing 37 titles and
publishing 20 now products in 1995. Expanded environmental compliance publishing list into
- Created product development and evaluation systems, increasing contract signings by 300%
in first year.
- Planned and directed academic telemarketing, cataloger sales, and publicity programs,
trade association co- publishing ventures, and corporate custom publishing initiatives.
- Initiated systems for payment of advances and grants and new standards for cover design,
copyediting, text cosign, and quality control.
- Analyzed sales and reported to President and Vice President/Publishing.
VAN NOSTRAND REINHOLD, New York, NY, 1991-1994
Major publisher of scientific, technical, professional reference and trade books (an
International Thomson company)
- Signed, developed, and published 20 new print and electronic occupational and
environmental safety and health products per year.
- Invited potential authors to prepare new project proposals, developed reviewer pool to
render expert judgments on proposals, conducted market research, prepared financial
studies to determine profit potential, and negotiated contracts with authors.
- Analyzed sales and profitability of list and determined reprint and new edition schedule
for 200 backlist titles.
- Led publishing foam, consisting of design, editorial, marketing, and production
- Reported to Publisher and Vice President/Editorial.
Senior Marketing Manager
- Exceeded sales goals for chemistry, chemical engineering, computer science, data
processing, earth science, environmental, gemology, industrial safety, and occupational
health books through direct mail, telemarketing, conference exhibits, and academic
- Created marketing plans and managed budget for promotion of frontlist (100 new titles
per year} and backlist (500 titles).
- Interfaced with editors, authors, trade sales force, telemarketing staff, library, and
special sales managers, and foreign distributors to maximize sales.
- Evaluated product proposals, prepared sales projections, analyzed soles, and reported to
Vice President of Sales and Marketing.
DELMAR PUBLISHERS/MILADY PUBLISHING DIVISION, Tarrytown, NY, 1987-1991
World's leading publisher in cosmetology and beauty education and major publisher of
business education titles for the vocational market (an International Thomson company).
Marketing Specialist/Direct Mail Manager
- Created and successfully implemented marketing plans for over 500 book, video, software,
and magazine titles to schools, libraries, and professional markets.
- Attended conferences and conventions and visited key customers to generate sales of new
titles and conduct market research.
- Responsible for concept and production of print advertising, catalogs, brochures, and
order forms, including supervision of in-house and freelance graphic artists and
copywriters, and purchasing, of typography, photography, color separations, printing,
mailing lists, and fulfillment services
PADRO COMMUNICATIONS, Now York, NY. 1982 - 1987
Marketing communications agency serving association) medical, beauty, and high technology
clients, specializing in new product introductions and corporate identity programs.
Responsible for generating now business, copywriting, and design for direct mail
promotions and print advertising, and supervision of copywriters, graphic artists, and
B.L. OCHMAN PUBLIC RELATIONS, New York, NY, 1981-1982
Full service PR agency specializing in entertainment and the arts.
Wrote press releases and surveys, planned special events, and conducted phone follow-up
resulting in consumer and trade media placements
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY, New York, NY, BA, Journalism, 1985
BRONX HIGH SCHOOL OF SCIENCE, 1981
WASHINGTON BOOK PUBLISHERS
Member, 1994 - Present
Co-Chair, Book Design and Effectiveness Competition, 1998 - Present
SOCIETY OF SCHOLARLY PUBLISHERS
Member, 1997- Present