Back to pending legislation main page Back to public schools main page
|Councilmember Kevin P. Chavous
A PROPOSED RESOLUTION IN THE COMMITTEE ON EDUCATION, LIBRARIES, AND RECREATION & PARKS
To authorize an investigation by the Committee on Education, Libraries, and Recreation & Parks on the use and monitor of funds by the District of Columbia Public Schools.
RESOLVED, BY THE COMMITTEE ON EDUCATION, LIBRARIES, AND RECREATION & PARKS, That this resolution may be cited as the "Committee on Education, Libraries, and Recreation & Parks Investigation of the District of Columbia Public Schools Use of Funds Resolution of 1998".
Sec. 2. The Committee finds that:
(1) On April 5, 1998, the Committee was informed at the Joint Budget Work Session that the District of Columbia Public Schools ("DCPS") has a $70,000,000 deficit for Fiscal Year 1998.
(2) The Committee was not informed of the $70,000,000 deficit at the budget hearings on the Fiscal Year 1997 Spending and Fiscal Year l998 Budget Implementation of DCPS, which was held on February 20, 1998; the Fiscal Year 1999 Request of DCPS, which was held on March 5, 1998; and many private meetings that were held with DCPS' officials including the Chief Executive Officer/Superintendent, Chief Academic Officer/Deputy Superintendent, and Chief Financial Officer.
(3) Information has been requested on all aspects of the school's budget. In most cases, the information sent was incomplete and the information never revealed a deficit of this magnitude.
(4) The Fiscal Year 1998 budget of DCPS does not indicate a $70,000,000 deficit.
(5) Documents from the Chief Financial Officer indicates that DCPS has overspent more than $8,000,000 in overtime.
Sec. 3. The Committee on Education, Libraries, and Recreation & Parks determines that the circumstances enumerated in section 2 constitute reasons to conduct an investigation, including the use of subpoenas issued by the Chairperson of the Committee. Specifically, this investigation will examine:
Sec. 4. The Clerk of the Committee shall file this resolution, upon its adoption, with the Office of the Secretary, in accordance with section 60l(b) of the Rules.
Sec. 5. This resolution shall take effect immediately.
Back to top of page