Back to pending legislation page
|Councilmember Kathy Patterson
A PROPOSED RESOLUTION IN THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Councilmember Kathy Patterson introduced the following resolution, which was referred to the Committee on Local, Regional and Federal Affairs
To declare the sense of the Council on the establishment of the Friendship Heights Task Force.
RESOLVED, BY THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, That this resolution may be cited as the "Sense of the Council on the establishment of the Friendship Heights Task Force Resolution of 1998."
Sec. 2. The Council finds that:
(1) The District of Columbia and Montgomery County share residential boundaries and the success of each district is linked with the other.
(2) Friendship Heights is a successful neighborhood centered on a Metrorail and bus station that has seen major growth in ridership in recent years.
(3) The two jurisdictions share a common goal to keep the local economy healthy, to plan and implement development to minimize congestion, and to maintain and enhance a high quality of life.
(4) Friendship Heights sense of community and neighborhood character should be preserved and enhanced.
(5) Continual communication between these two jurisdictions is critical to maintaining their economic competitiveness with other regional centers.
(6) Both jurisdictions have historically sought to balance mutual interests by adopting a coordinated approach where the concerns of each jurisdiction could be clearly communicated.
(7) Coordinating traffic lane and turn restrictions, lane designations and other traffic and parking restrictions and the enforcement thereof are critical to the safe and efficient movement of residents, workers and shoppers and to the functioning of the Metro station.
(8) The two jurisdictions must establish a continuing process to implement and monitor development to align it with traffic capacity and to implement policies to reduce traffic and to alleviate traffic congestion.
Sec. 3. It is the sense of the Council of the District of Columbia that the District of Columbia and Montgomery County shall establish a task force to foster communication and decision-making on planning, implementation, transportation policies, enforcement issues and amenity provision and promotion agendas. The task force shall include but not be limited to neighborhood, community and business organizations and representatives from the following governmental entities:
Sec 4. This resolution shall take effect immediately upon the first date of publication in either the District of Columbia register, the District of Columbia Statutes-at-Large, or the District of Columbia regulations.
Back to top of page
Send mail with questions or comments to email@example.com
Web site copyright ©DCWatch (ISSN 1546-4296)