DC Watch Home
Council Period 12
Council Period 13
Linda W. Cropp, at the request of the Mayor
A PROPOSED RESOLUTION IN THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
To confirm the appointment of Ms. Libby Kavoulakis to the Board of Real
Property Assessments and Appeals for the District of Columbia.
RESOLVED, BY THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, That this
resolution may be cited as the "Board of Real Property Assessments
and Appeals for the District of Columbia Libby Kavoulakis Confirmation
Resolution of 2001".
Sec. 2. The Council of the District of Columbia confirms the appointment
as chairperson of the Board of Real Property Assessments and Appeals for
the District of Columbia, established by D.C. Official Code § 47-825.01,
for a term to end 2-years from the date the nominee is sworn-in.
2114 N Street, N. W., Apt. 42
Washington, D.C. 20037
Sec. 3. The Secretary to the Council of the District of Columbia shall
transmit a copy of this resolution, upon its adoption, each to the nominee
and to the Office of the Mayor.
Sec. 4. This resolution shall take effect immediately.
Back to top of page
2114 N Street NW, No. 42
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 466-5479 or (202) 255-4350
Experienced in the performance, analysis, ownership issues and
valuation of all property types throughout the United States. Real estate
services' have been performed for strategic playing, asset , financing,
litigation, due diligence, land development, acquisition/disposition and
ad valorem taxation issues. Most recently specializing in government real
estate issues, including asset ownership and strategy, effective space use
sad disposition strategies, policies and procedures, lending practices,
housing privatization, development processes and real property tax
MANAGING MEMBER, The Metis Group LLC, Washington, DC, April 1999 to
- Majority owner and executive in woman-owned business specializing in
sea! and financial consulting.
- Developed cheat contracts and strategic partnerships with other
- Initiated all phases of business start-up, strategy, vision and
marketing to the public and private sectors.
VICE PRESIDENT, MAXIMUS, Washington DC, February 1999 to April 1999
- Performed due diligence for a proposed construction project for a
Unified Communication Center, including developing the infrastructure
for project success.
- Developed a real estate consulting practice for public sector
- Initiated all phases of a start-up business, including strategy,
vision, hiring and marketing.
SENIOR MANAGER, Arthur Andersen LLP
Office of Government Services, March 1997 to January 1999
Real Estate Advisory Services, September 1992 to March 1997
- Performed due diligence, demand analysis, market advisory and
valuation and review services for national commercial property
- Developed financial models, property mix and sell-out scenarios for
large, mixed-use developments.
- Performed partnership and equity valuation analyses, incluiding
analysis of financing options.
- Performed operational reviews and implemented improvement
recommendations for government real property and tax administrations.
- Provided operational support for the Associate Director of a real
property tax administration, developing policies, improvement
strategy, hiring criteria, automation of core processes and training
of the department.
- Developed and implemented asset management reforms for real property
and financial asset management functions, including outsourcing
alternatives, bulk sale of assets, process improvement and process
- Performed space use studies for proposed construction and for
consolidation of space.
- Performed litigation support services for in-house and third party
- Maximized value and performed portfolio, review services for pension
and investment funds.
- Reformed the single-family appraisal process and the internal
processes for a federal agency.
- Assisted in the development of privatization options for real estate
- Formulated management for revenue and expense estimates applied to a
- Developed an Asset Management/Asset Strategy practice for government
sector clients. Fees under contract after the first year of $10.0
million, including multi-year contracts.
- Maintained and developed client relationships for new and on-going
private sector real estate engagements, including the practice's five
largest clients, with fees in excess of $5.0 million per year.
- Managed teams of real estate, financial and consulting professionals
in multi-disciplinary, multi-location engagements for all types of
clients. All aspects of internal engagement management, client
relationship and practice development were included.
Additional Areas of Experience
- Trained 3,500 Federal employees in Customer Service techniques and
- Formulated and developed call centers and customer service centers
for two tax administrations.
- Involved in software development and installation of OAS and
- Developed a lease analysis model model framework that was later used
by a city agency to solicit broker proposals for streamlining the
city's leases and owned space.
- Testified as an expert witness in developer partnership disputes.
- Instructed at Arthur Andersen's Worldwide Training Institute in St.
Charles, IL, and in internal training seminars for the Washington DC
real estate practice.
ASSISTANT OFFICER, Mellon Bank, Pittsburgh, PA, February 1991 to
- Reviewed and appraised bank's portfolio of properties nationwide.
- Assisted in strategy for disposition of REO (Real Fatale Owned)
- Developed and implemented a regulatory compliance plan for
department, with direct reporting to the Executive Vice President of
VICE PRESIDENT, Arnheim & Neely, Inc., Pittsburgy, PA, March 1987
to February 1991
- Performed all phases of the appraisal process for properties
throughout southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Managed and marketed appraisal and consulting services for a
full-service real estate company.
- Assisted with property management, leasing and sales activity.
APPRAISER, Rosen Systems, Inc., Dallas, TX, June 1985 to January 1987
- Appraised industrial and commercial properties nationwide and
machinery and equipment for auctions.
- Director and Treasurer, Delian League of Washington DC, 1997 to
- Director and Past President, Preston House Condominium Association,
1995 to 1997.
- MAI Member 9792, .Appraisal Institute.
- Director, Metro Washington DC area Chapter of the Appraisal
Institute, 1998 to 2001.
- Chair, Government Relations Committee and Member, National Public
Relations Committee, Appraisal Institute, 1999 to 2000.
- Chair of an Ethics and Counseling subcommittee for the Appraisal
Institute, 1995 to 1997.
- Served on Appraisal Institute's national, regional and local
Experience Review panel, 1995 to 1996.
- Selected and served on Appraisal Institute's 1994 and 1995 Young
Advisory Councils for the Top 100 Real Estate Professionals in the
- Instructor and developer of the course, REALTORS Education
Institute, "Appraisal of Income-Producing Properties, 1991 and
1992, Metro Pittsburgh Board of REALTORS.
- Vice Chair, American Heart Association Heart Gala (1995-97) and Jazz
for the Heart Brunch (1998).
EDUCATION and ADDITIONAL. EXPERTISE
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, May 1985, Duquesne University,
Pittsburgh, PA Complete knowledge of word processing, project
management and spreadsheet software and real estate industry software.
- On-going professional continuing education courses in real estate,
management, information technology, consulting skills and related