|THIS SCHEDULE IS TENTATIVE
DATES SUBJECT TO CHANGE
March: Receive census data by census tract
March 6: Introduce Ward redistricting bill (to reflect current ward boundaries)
April 5, 7, 23: Hold public hearings (Friday & Saturday) [budget hearings end 5 p.m.
4/6; recess 4/13-20]
April 5, 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m.
April 7, 10:00 a.m.
April 26: Subcommittee Mark-up (additional meeting)
May 15: Committee of the Whole
June 5: First Reading
June 19: Second Reading (additional meeting)
June 21: Transmittal to Mayor (so that he signs by July 1)
Deadline for action: later of 90 days after receipt of census data or July 14
Schedule for Advisory Neighborhood Commission Redistricting
June 6: Ask Ward Councilmembers to set up ward task forces for ANC redistricting
July 1: Mayor signs bill redistricting ward boundaries
Oct. 1: Deadline for receipt of ward task force recommendations
Oct. 16: Introduce ANC redistricting bill
Nov. 8 & 10: Public Hearings -- abbreviated notice (Thursday & Saturday; 11/12
Nov. 29: Subcommittee mark-up (Thursday, scheduled as an additional meeting)
Dec. 19: ANC redistricting bill read in Committee of the Whole
Jan. 8: First Reading of ANC redistricting bill
Feb. 5: Second Reading of ANC redistricting bill
City Council Principles:
1. Each ward should be approximately equal in population size (c. 71,502); avoid
2. The ward boundaries should conform to the greatest extent possible with census tracts
3. Redistricting should respect natural geography and neighborhood cohesiveness.
4. Wards and SMDs should be compact
5. Redistricting should not dilute the voting strength of minority citizens.
6. ANCs should be of approximately equal size (8-10 commissioners) -- helps w/ funding
Committee Recommendations from 1991 ANC Redistricting:
1. A public hearing should be held in each Ward as part of the ward task force's duty.
2. A sample report and map (street map with markings for SMD boundaries) for one SMD
should be included in the materials given to the ward task forces before they begin their
3. Several deadlines should be set up throughout the 90-day period, so that progress
reports may be filed with the Council by each ward task force.
4. All ward task force meetings should be public. As such, there should be public notice
of each meeting and each meeting should be held in a public place rather than a private
5. Consideration should be given to limiting the participating number of ANC Commissioners
on the ward task forces, so that independent citizens would be represented.