home Archives home
Back to Jack Evans main page
Councilmember Jack Evans for Mayor!
Jack Evans record
on Gay, Lesbian & AIDS issues . . .
- Until Jack Evans was elected Councilmember, the Council ignored the Gay
communitys decade-long campaign to repeal the Districts anti-sodomy law, which
was often used to persecute Gays. One of Jack Evans first actions as a Councilmember
was to sponsor and lead the Council to repeal this antiquated law.
- As a member of the Domestic Partnership Committee, Jack Evans led the fight for the 1992
enactment of the District's domestic partners law, over the vigorous objection
of D.C.s religious right and he will move promptly to reenact
that law if it is repealed by Congress.
- Jack Evans has consistently opposed efforts to outlaw or restrict adoptions by
unmarried couples in the District of Columbia.
- Jack Evans has worked extensively with GLOV (Gay Men and Lesbians Opposing Violence) to
institute Lesbian and Gay sensitivity training in the D.C. Fire Department, and to ensure
full investigation of any alleged discrimination by police and fire department officers.
- At all times, Jack Evans has had at least one member of the Lesbian and Gay community
on his staff working on issues of importance to the Gay, Lesbian, and AIDS community.
- On HIV/AIDS issues:
- As a founding member of the Condom Availability Committee, Jack Evans was the
Councils leader in successful efforts to begin condom distribution in our schools
- Jack Evans introduced and expanded legislation to establish the Districts
needle exchange program.
- Jack Evans has vigorously and successfully opposed legislative efforts requiring
mandatory AIDS testing of certain individuals.
- Jack Evans has consistently fought in each years District budget for full
Medicaid coverage for people with HIV/AIDS.
- Jack Evans has actively raised funds for AIDS organizations, including Whitman-Walker
Clinic, AIDSWALK (Major Sponsor), AIDS Action Foundation, and Food & Friends.
What have the other mayoral candidates done?
Paid for by the Evans for Mayor Campaign, P.O. Box 7615,
Washington, D.C. 20044
Send mail with questions or comments to email@example.com
Web site copyright ©DCWatch (ISSN 1546-4296)